Nubian does are at least 30 inches tall and weigh 135 pounds, while bucks are at least 32 inches tall and weigh 170 pounds.
The head is the distinctive breed characteristic with the facial profile between the eyes and the muzzle being strongly convex, often referred to as a “Roman nose.”
The ears are “pendulous,” hanging down and flaring out and forward at their rounded tip and extending at least one inch below the muzzle. Nubians may be any color, solid or patterned. The hair is short, fine and glossy.
This breed is also known for the high butterfat and protein content of its milk. Picture to right is SG Land of Havilah KA Ebony 4*M, used with permission.
|Land of Havilah Calvarys Touch (aka “Twix”)||Scheduled 8/22||Very sweet doe with a nice mammary.|
Why Should You Choose a Mini Nubian?
Although Standard Nubians produce a high volume of milk, and Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats produce high-quality butterfat milk, here are some reasons why you should consider a Mini Nubian:
- Mini Nubians also produce high-quality milk. With this breed, you get the best of both breeds: a high volume of milk and high-quality butterfat milk. A Mini Nubian can produce about 2 gallons of milk per day;
- These dairy goats are sweet and docile and will fit right into your small family farm;
- Due to their small size, a Mini Nubian is easy to handle;
- Smaller goats eat less and require smaller space. This is another reason why a Mini Nubian is good for your farm. You spend less when you rear a Mini Nubian;
- Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats are difficult to milk because of their miniature size. Mini Nubians are slightly larger, and this makes milking easier;
- Of all dairy goats, Nigerian Dwarfs have the highest butterfat content in their milk, while the Nubians have the second highest. Keeping a Mini Nubian means you get to have milk rich with butterfat content, milk that’s creamy and sweet and great for cheesemaking. (https://texasgoat.com/mini-nubian-goat/#Why_Should_You_Choose_a_Mini_Nubian)
If you are interested in raising Mini-Nubians, please review our Breeding Plan to see Twix’s babies. We are super excited to be offering these for the first time in 2022.